Old December 4th 17, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Chain Reaction closes Los Altos store.

On 2017-12-03 14:34, jbeattie wrote:

What is causing this bike market downturn?

It MUST be fake news! You, Joerg, have assured us that by building bike
trails we'd get millions of Americans to give up their cars forever. And
every year, more segregated kiddy paths have been built. Some cities
have doubled their bike mode share, all the way from 0.2% to 0.4%!
That's like a 100% increase!

Sure it is, and for America that is quite big. Weren't you the guy
always touting the health benefits? Calculate the health Dollars saved here.

So I'm not going to believe any biased communist industry data. I _know_
bike sales have skyrocketed! Those bike dealers are not reporting sales
so they can cheat on their taxes.

We were talking about the Silicon Valley. I can imagine that cycling
down there isn't exactly fun. Up here in the Sierra foothills bike sales
are brisk. Else successes such as these would not happen:

You're f****** nuts. SCV has some of the best riding in the state. Ever climbed Mt. Hamilton? http://www.bikecal.com/MustDoClimbs/...tHamilton1.jpg The Santa Cruz mountains? https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5d/51/71/5...u-are-here.jpg

Out to the coast? Old LaHonda to the coast was awesome. https://www.southbayriders.com/forum...hments/172370/ I still miss that. I miss Hamilton except for the crack seal. I finished first in the Mt. Hamilton Challenge (200K/10K climbing) -- that was a great day.

All these places beat the **** out of Cameron Park. The SCV also has a strong cycling community -- at least it did when I was there. Remember Tom Ritchey, Keith Bontrager? -- Jim Blackburn (Blackburn), Jim Gentes (Giro), Mike Sinyard (Specialized), Rock Shockm( in '90s), etc., etc. Wake up and smell the coffee. The SCV was the belly-button of the bike industry and has some spectacular cycling.

-- Jay Beattie.