Old May 23rd 06, 09:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default The end of the flying pigeon...

eddiec wrote:

Yet the company does not believe in advertising. "We have no need to
advertise. Everybody in China knows Flying Pigeon," the company's
export director, Wang Dajian, said.

Asked if he was willing to enter a joint venture to help to modernise
the company, Mr Wang was horrified. "Never! No! Too much history, too
much culture. We can never have joint venture here. Flying Pigeon is
too Chinese, too traditional."

Traditional perhaps, but many of the young employees who make up the
500-strong workforce arrive at work on stylish mountain bikes.-

Reminds me of the film "Spotswood".

I've never ridden one so I can't talk, but seems like an awful shame if
it were to disappear... Especially with the retro-revolution in Western
countries... Hmm... anybody know enough Chinese to set about importing
the newest retro cool accessory?? hmm...

I wonder whether they could adopt the Harley Davidson marketing
approach. I think their sales were plummeting when they basically sold
to biker lifestylers but when they started to sell to middle-aged men
looking for their lost youth they found a new outlet. Perhaps all those
aging baby boomer comrades could be encouraged to reduce their waistline
on a Pigeon.

I once had a fantastic silk screened poster which depicted Mao Zedong
holding up a bike, with Chinese text saying "For your health's sake,
ride a bicycle". Somehow it was lost in my travels.

Peter

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA