Old January 15th 10, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default Tire Making, episode four

On 15 Jan, 15:58, Jobst Brandt wrote:
Doug Cimper wrote:
... *That carbon black in tires aids in wear resistance and wet
traction is well known and the reason why you don't see high
performance auto tires in any other color than black. *White knobby
tires on children's bicycles don't wear long or corner well
anywhere, but they are a standard of fashion for the little tykes.

No offense, but where does it say that carbon black aids in wet
traction? *I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere so far.

The details of it escape me now but I recall a few years ago when
Specialized supplied the US 7-11 Racing team in Europe with "Umma
Gumma" non black tires with which they had so many crashes in the wet
that they switched back to their previous black tires. *The issue was
discussed at length in the news that we read in wreck.bike. *I found
it interesting and assumed the issue was adequately explained.

You must have noticed that no high performance tire is without carbon
black, for motor vehicles or bicycles although colored tires are seen
on bicycles where hard cornering in the rain is not a standard
procedure. *That is why the advertising pictu

*http://tinyurl.com/p3f2y

and one in the rain at Emerald Bay Lake Tahoe were made.

The introduction of inert fillers was to stiffen the rubber and
improve its wear characteristics; the natural rubber also needed
colorants in order to try to help protect it from UV damage from
sunlight. *Carbon black is one of a very-few fillers that can
effectively do both jobs at the same time--but then, iron oxide
seemed to be another.
Iron oxide seems to boost traction more than carbon black does; why
else would Kool Stop be using iron oxide in their brake pads, and
not carbon black instead? Salmon Kool-Stops have a pretty good
reputation far and wide, yet we see no red-colored modern
performance car tires. ?:|

I think this explanation needs some reference report as well, it
conflicting with the information I have read in the past on this issue
that included an article about how carbon black became introduced to
tire making in the first place. *I was satisfied the issue had been
discussed adequately at the time.

Jobst Brandt

you forgot to mention:
Aluminum nipples