Old December 22nd 17, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mr Pounder Esquire

Default Reducing speed to 20mph 'created more deaths than injuries' but council can't afford to scrap them

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 14:03:39 -0000, Brian Reay wrote:

On 18/12/2017 09:59, Bod wrote:
On 18/12/2017 09:41, Bod wrote:
A council has said that 20mph zones recently introduced in its area
will stay despite a rise in the number of deaths and injuries.

Bath and North East Somerset Council spent £871,000 bringing in
the 13 new speed zones just 12 months ago. Woman openly admits she
loves her dog more than her only child But one year on, a report
has found that the rate of people killed or seriously injured has
gone up in seven out of the 13 new 20mph zones. The report,
published in May 2017 by Bath and North East Somerset Council,
says this is a national trend. The council suggests people are 'less
diligent' when walking and
crossing roads within the zones, because they think they are safer.
Deputy council leader Councillor Patrick Anketell-Jones has
admitted there simply isn't the money available to reverse the
20mph zones.
http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/18/reduci...8/?ito=cbshare

The Council said "it would cost £800,000 to remove the signs"
That's a ridiculous amount!

The findings won't stop 'pressure groups' demanding more such zones
or councils introducing them- leading to more unnecessary injuries
and deaths. Obviously there are instances of bad driving- including of
course
driving under the influence etc.- and no one is suggesting they
shouldn't be dealt with. However, introducing measures which are not
only known to fail but be harmful is more than ridiculous.

Especially speedbumps which cause criminal damage to the spines of
the elderly and disabled. I want to see council employees jailed.

Hucker's psychopathic views on road safety are below.
What a ******!

"I have driven a Ford Sierra 1.6 at 90mph on single track roads
with passing places in the NW of Scotland. ****ing great fun"!

"I am proud of being nicked 10 times, and even prouder of talking my

way out of twice that number of offences".
"Make that 12. 9 speeding offences, 2 seatbelts, and 1 unroadworthy
vehicle".

Make that 3 seatbelt offences,

"I don't give a **** about the law".
"**** the law".
"It's only illegal is you get caught".
"Something being illegal does not matter".
"The law is irrelevant".