Old June 14th 11, 07:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default Tyre blowout

Nearly forgot to mention this and maybe, it should have stayed forgotten
but had a sidewall blowout yesterday arvo on my crappy 700x23C tyres

The road had a layer of water tending towards dry, it was a slight
downhill (4-5 degrees?) of approx 350m long, and my speed was
fortunately low, 20-25kph(?), so I didn't come a cropper.

I just heard a sound like someone threw a firecracker at me, saw a puff
of water get kicked off the wet road, and some kinda of grinding sound

Also I was lucky that it happened about the last 50m of the downhill and
I was planning to slow down anyway. I managed the 90 degree lefthand
turn at the bottom of the downhill and turned into someone's driveway

Well, gotta get new tyres now, so off to Johnno's in Kenso