Old May 25th 05, 03:00 AM
David

In article .com,
sideshowhaas wrote:

I recently resurrected my '90 Marin Eldridge Grade. Frame is still
bomb-proof. Deore LX/DX components are still in good shape. Replaced
the brake/shifters with some new, old stock ones. Rides like new. I am
now looking for a suspension fork that will be compatable with the
cantilever brakes. I need one that won't bottom out too easily, as I am
6' and about 200lbs. Does any company still make such a fork? Thanks in
advance.

HI there,

You're looking into 2 problems here..

First of all, you neglected to tell us the size of your headset. I'm
guessing that it's probably a 1" version as opposed to the more normal
1 1/8". If it's a 1", then I would say forget about trying to convert.
1" headset suspension fork are pretty rare these days to find. Also
very rare is a cable hanger for your canti brakes.

You don't want to buy used shocks either, just because most of the used
ones out there in the market are pretty beat up and are not worth
having. And comparing to the latest and greatest -- SPV or Terra Logic
-- the Judys and the Quadra 21s of the past are just no match against
them.

My advise to you is this. Buy a new hardtail on clearance if you need
a front shock. It's cheaper and in a proper geometry, plus it won't
bottom out too easily.

David.