Old January 5th 17, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On 1/3/2017 7:04 PM, Joerg wrote:
Gentlemen,

Is there something stronger than the usual rubber cement in the patch
kits? Ideally something that won't dry out so fast or where multiple
cheap small tubes are available.

The reason is that I sometimes have larger holes from side wall
blow-outs. Not inch-long gashes but one or two tenths of an inch long.
The tubes I use are super thick and, therefore, expensive. $15-20 each
and that's not something to be thrown out lightly. Instead of the li'l
REMA patches I need to use thicker rubber from an older sacrified tube
but this has to be vulcanized/cemented really well.

Read some of the responses, not all.

I dunno anything stronger than rubber cement. It is dissolved rubber?

The little bicycle tubes of rubber cement are a limited-lifetime thing.
Good for maybe 6 months left sealed; maybe a couple weeks once they're
opened. Leaving them in a car on a summer day can ruin them...

There's just magical ethers that waft out once you pierce the seal, a
lot of glues have this issue. PVC glue is the same way. They sell these
little 12-oz jars at the hardware store, with the metal lid screwed on
so tight that even a strong man needs channel-lock pliers to get it off.
And once it's off, the glue will "dry out" in 3-4 days, no matter how
hard you screw the same lid back on.

Shoe Goo is supposed to be just liquid latex with an aromatic solvent in
it.