Old July 18th 05, 06:38 AM
Carl Brewer

Default letter to the editor of The Age re "Drugs, dial, drive, bloody idiot?"

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:22:09 +1000, flyingdutch
wrote:

cfsmtb Wrote:
Remember this? Sleepy raver killed cyclist, court told:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?t=12694

That mentioned, invariably there's a higher probability of road
altercations with drivers who overestimate their skills over, say,
accidents stemming from methamphetamine, sudafed, or benadryl abuse.
It's the old argument of legislation vs education. So, how do
create behavioural change? I'd refer a combination of the two +
$everely $lugging the hip pocket.

Agree. BTW, trials currently underway (started last week!) have half a
dozen stationery speeding cameras also taking either random or
user-instigated pix of drivers on the phone. These can cover not just
vehicles passing the camera on the same side of the road but both
directions

Interesting, any idea of how the technology works? I would imagine
it wouldn't be too hard to scan for GSM transmissions in line of sight
from a camera and snap if there's a signal?