Old April 3rd 06, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Yet another obstruction

Paul Boyd wrote:
Mike Causer said the following on 03/04/2006 14:10:
Here's a new variation on the theme of making life difficult for cyclists,
and this time it's in the photo gallery offered by Cycling England --

http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...2&pic=184&sf=0

Mike

How about this for a smart idea?
http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...9&pic=141&sf=0

seems better than not excluding cycles from the one-way restriction.
At least it isn't a shared use pavement

http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...9&pic=144&sf=0 shows
why perhaps it isn't!

Shirley shows why it is a perfectly feasible idea. I might have opted
to cycle further out to force the oncoming traffic to stop but it is
not obvious that this is not what has happened anyway. This could
cause problems for a novice cyclist

I happen to know that
http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...&pic=169&sf=30 is
definitely not a happy place to be cycling - just behind the camera cars
turn left across across both the bus lane and the cycle lane. That ped
in the red jacket most certainly should not be where he is - in fact,
how and why did he get there?

I presume it is that ring road in bristol that goes across the end of
whatever the M32 ends up being (with the M32 behind the camera). Not
sure where the ped might be heading or /why/he ended up there but there
is not any reason why he /should/ not be there. I can imagine the road
could be intimidating to cycle on at times but from picture I would say
this wasn't one of them

Is this all meant to reassure the general public that lots of things are
being done to make cycling safer?

best wishes
james