Old March 26th 07, 02:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Default Bike tube etiquette

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
Friday wrote:
Since the rear wheel follows almost exactly the same path as the
front wheel it would seem to me that if the front wheel ran over a
sharp object on the road (ie. broken glass) then the back wheel
would run over it too. Taking two spare tubes is common sense. (Well
at least to me it

it's been my experience that the front wheel punctures far less often.
Perhaps the front wheel runs over it and disturbs the object and the
rear wheel then picks it up, perhaps there is more weight on the rear
and so the object penetrates more easily.

No idea, but I can't recall the last front wheel puncture, but I've
had many rear wheel ones.

Yup, what Zebee says is correct. On motorcycles, front wheel punctures are
rare. I had a spate of rear wheel puntures many years ago. They stopped when
I fitted a mudflap to the front mudguard. Apparently this knocks down the
item the front wheel picks up.

Theo