Old July 20th 04, 10:41 PM
Velvet

Default off road or on road tyre

Skunk wrote:

I have a second hand trek 6500 mountain bike. I love the bike but hardly
use it off road. The back tyre needs replacing. Could/Should I change it
to a road tyre if I'm hardly going off road. The front tyre is okay
tread wise(off road tyre). I am a bit skint, are there any problems if
I run it with the original off road front tyre and an on road back
tyre?
Cheers for any advice.
I also bought a Dawes Giro road bike. I find it a struggle up some
hills - I live in a hilly area nr. Ilkley. I'm a not very fit forty
something. I guess the only thing I can really do is to get a new
chainset to make it easier, barring getting a whole lot fitter. I
wanted to buy a road bike for commuting but I'm not sure if the giro is
classed as a racer, a tourer, or an audax. I didn't really want a
racer but have never cycled a road bike before so don't know how the
giro would compare on the road with an audax/tourer type bike, and if I
should trade in to make life easier.

I have a dawes audax, and struggle on the hills ;-) I think the Giros
are classed as racers, the audax is a half and half - light tourer, or
racer if you take the mudguards etc off. Mine's got a triple on it, but
the cassette on the back doesn't go that low even with the triple, I
think a tourer like the dawes galaxy would go lower, but can't say for
sure. Even though it's not a racer, it looks like one, and goes like
one too - except up hills!

See if you've got the option to change the gearing on it - that's almost
certainly going to be cheaper than trading it in for another bike, and
you'll still have a really nice bike at the end of it too.

If you're commuting, if it's not got mudguards, look at putting some on,
to help keep the spray down in the wet ;-)

Dunno bout the tyres, can't help you there.

--

Velvet