Old July 20th 04, 10:47 PM
Fil

Default off road or on road tyre

There's a range of Giro's depending on budget, but basically they're racers.
Tourer's typically have tripple chain rings and often mountain bike gearing
and would probably be more suitable of you're not mega fit and live in a
hilly area. The problem is, audax's and tourers are expensive new (ie you
can't get one under £500.00, and more likey a grand plus) so maybe a trip to
the local bike shop to get the chainset changed (if possible) is in order.

BTW, a good tourer is VERY comfy for long distances and regular commuting.
Don't be put off just because they appear similair in layout to a full
racer....

"Skunk" wrote in message

I have a second hand trek 6500 mountain bike. I love the bike but hardly
use it off road. The back tyre needs replacing. Could/Should I change it
to a road tyre if I'm hardly going off road. The front tyre is okay
tread wise(off road tyre). I am a bit skint, are there any problems if
I run it with the original off road front tyre and an on road back
tyre?
Cheers for any advice.
I also bought a Dawes Giro road bike. I find it a struggle up some
hills - I live in a hilly area nr. Ilkley. I'm a not very fit forty
something. I guess the only thing I can really do is to get a new
chainset to make it easier, barring getting a whole lot fitter. I
wanted to buy a road bike for commuting but I'm not sure if the giro is
classed as a racer, a tourer, or an audax. I didn't really want a
racer but have never cycled a road bike before so don't know how the
giro would compare on the road with an audax/tourer type bike, and if I
should trade in to make life easier.

--
Skunk