Old July 20th 04, 10:56 PM
Martin 'MSeries' Newstead

Default off road or on road tyre

Skunk wrote:
I have a second hand trek 6500 mountain bike. I love the bike but
hardly use it off road. The back tyre needs replacing. Could/Should I
change it to a road tyre if I'm hardly going off road. The front
tyre is okay tread wise(off road tyre). I am a bit skint, are there
any problems if I run it with the original off road front tyre and an
on road back tyre?
Cheers for any advice.
I also bought a Dawes Giro road bike. I find it a struggle up some
hills - I live in a hilly area nr. Ilkley. I'm a not very fit forty
something. I guess the only thing I can really do is to get a new
chainset to make it easier, barring getting a whole lot fitter. I
wanted to buy a road bike for commuting but I'm not sure if the giro
is classed as a racer, a tourer, or an audax. I didn't really want a
racer but have never cycled a road bike before so don't know how the
giro would compare on the road with an audax/tourer type bike, and if
I should trade in to make life easier.

Fit slick tyres if you are doing road rides or hardpacked level off road
rides. Your ride will be transformed. You will be more comfortable with 2
slick tyres but one will be a good start.