Old February 9th 05, 06:15 PM
PK

Default Shimano Nexus 8-speed Hubs

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message
It's been over a year since we first placed our order, but we finally have
received Shimano Nexus 8-speed hubs.

I bought one myself, I'll be doing it up with 650B rims...

See: http://harriscyclery.com/shimano-nexus

I've also scanned and put up the Service Manual for these hubs at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8

Sheldon "Planetary Gears!" Brown
| If you wish in the world to advance, |
| Your merits you're bound to enhance; |
| You must stir it, and stump it, |
| And blow your own trumpet, |
| Or, trust me, you haven't a chance! |
| --W.S. Gilbert |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

I have a nexus 7sp coaster brake hub with rapidfire shifter set up in a 70s
Ernie Clements ( Brit bike) and I love it. The back pedal brake was, at
first, a bit of a pain but I soon got used to stopping with the pedal
forward of TDC for ease of starting, now I hardly use the rim brakes.
The only worry I have is that the weak point of the system may be the
rapidfire trigger, although I have had no trouble at all with it to date.Is
yours Sheldon OK on your PX10?
I have tried to buy a spare trigger in the uk (tried shimmano) with no
success.
So if the trigger fails It seams that I would have to go for the only
available twist grip changer and covert to straight bars or find an
alternative mounting bar of the smaller diameter.
I would have expected Shimmano to have continued the rapidfire trigger for
a £100 hub, may be they want me to buy the new 8Sp hub? I probably will buy
it with a spare trigger.
PS All the talk of drag I personally don't notice any.

pk