Old August 3rd 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Default Climbing seated on the hoods vs on the tops...??

"Scott" wrote in message
ups.com...

Plus, the Euro pros spend more time training and racing in the drops,
so climbing on the brakehoods may be a more efficient, powerful
position that sitting slightly more upright on the tops. Most of us
don't spend enough time in the drops for the lower position on the
hoods to be that much more efficient than the tops, but the pros do.
I can assure you if they could climb faster on the tops than on the
hoods, they would.

I can add this - when the pack got really fast and I was near my limit I'd
almost crawl under the paint. After a couple of weeks of those sorts of
races I discovered that my flexibility had changed pretty dramatically and
that I could ride on the drops as efficiently as on the tops.

It wasn't too long after I quite racing that that ability disappeared never
to return.