Old July 17th 03, 02:40 AM
Fledge

Default From a Melbourne bicycle courier.

Luther Blissett wrote:
Cutting down the handlebars is common, makes it easier to fit between
cars. Some couriers prefer to ride a single speed .. lighter, less parts
to wear out. Protecting the paintwork on the frame is also important ..
old tubes, gaffa tape and lots of stickers are some remedys. Mudguards
are a must in winter. The best thing is to start with high quality
components, and service bike regularly. Cheap stuff breaks/wears out
very quickly when used for 40+ hours a week.
- LB

Luther, I'm curious: do couriers in Melbourne ride road bikes or
hybrids? I always thought road bikes were the go...drop handlebars and a
lighter frame seemed like a logical choice. Then I noticed most couriers
in Sydney (where I live) hardly ever rode road bikes, preferring hybrids
with upright handlebars and fatter tires.

I'm considering becoming a courier (when I finish my damned uni degree)
and will probably buy a new bike for the job. But the
dilemma...road...hybrid...road...hybrid...

Please help my indecisive and uneducated mind