Old April 10th 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default Beware Passing the Parked Car, Bicycle Reminder.

In article ,
writes:

Left hand drive on left driving roads? And right hand drive on
right driving roads? Likely more head on collisions due to drivers
not being able to judge where the oncoming vehicle is on the road.
Or judge where your own wheels are traveling relative to the yellow
line.

Interestingly, all Italian commercial vehicles were right hand drive
until about 1980 after which all these trucks seem to have vanished,
being replaced by left hand drive vehicles as the rest of the right
hand traffic countries use. I would like to read about the origin of
this and the reason for the change. I have not seen a right hand
drive truck in Italy in recent years.

Maybe it has to do with the European Union and uniformity for
trade and import/export purposes as well as compatibility
among various European national law systems? That's just a
guess on my part, but the time frame seems to be at least
loosely contempory with the formative period of the EU.

Strange things happen in some countries such as the Swiss dumping the
William Tell crossbow as the "Swiss Made" symbol. Formerly it was
proudly displayed on all products while today it is gone even on
Victor Inox, an archetype Swiss company that formerly used the symbol.

http://www.tell.ch/schweiz/telldenkmal.htm
http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?page=3D0&lang=3DE
http://www.swisslabel.ch/d/

Maybe that's another EU casualty? Too bad, I like the idea of
a lethal weapon as a trade symbol. It portrays ... attitude.

I suppose some sort of stylized bear could do for a Swiss
trade symbol. On the other hand, with the world's economies
faring as they are, maybe that's not such a good idea.
I guess that just leaves skis, perforated cheese or The
Matterhorn -- all of which is preferable to Canada's lame
maple leaf and aquatic rodent.

Speaking of symbols & logos, the Circle K convenience store is
decidedly ~not~ kosher. Everything in there is overpriced, too.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.