Old February 23rd 04, 11:26 PM
Steven Bornfeld

Default Fractured collar bone

Dashi wrote:
"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message

Dashi wrote:

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" wrote in
message ...

Bob Smith wrote:

I originally posted this on rec.sport.rowing but it was suggested that
cyclists have a lot more experience in this area. I hope someone can
help.

I fractured my collar bone last August and the last two pieces joined
up at the beginning of January. Two weeks ago they separated again.

The two ends overlap by just over an inch.

There seem to be three options:

1. Do nothing and just live with the non-union
2. Have the bone pinned in its current position
3. Have the bone ends trimmed and fixed end to end with a plate

If possible I would like to contact some people who have experienced
one (or more) of these options.

Currently my favourite is option 2 because I know that while the
collar bone was joined I was able to use the ergometer without
discomfort, although obviously with very low effort, and most of my
shoulder mobility had already returned. With option 1 I suspect I
would be reluctant to apply full effort to any shoulder work. Option 3
seems to be more complex and with a greater risk of failure for mainly
cosmetic benefits.

All helpful suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

I assume you had a non-union of the fracture. If it is a new
fracture, I think most doctors would just let it heal.
I fractured my left clavicle 10 years ago, at age 42. Certainly my
healing was slower than the young pups, but it did heal. I have the
typical step deformity of this kind of fracture.
I believe the doctors are a little concerned about tissue damage to
the surrounding area (including some very major blood vessels) if you
have
free bone ends. Either way, your shoulder mobility shouldn't be affected
much.

I disagree with this. My shoulder mobility was affected very much, so
much in fact that I was unable to raise my arm above shoulder level.

Diagnosis: Frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis.

Very bad stuff, took me six months of physical therapy to get well.

Dashi

Sorry to hear this. I assume your fracture was fairly distal and involved
the AC joint? Did you have surgery? In any case you did pretty much
regain your shoulder mobility?
My fracture, BTW was about 2/3 of the way from my sternum to my AC joint.

Steve

Thanks for the note of sympathy but I am almost 100% now, 2 years after the
accident.

When I fell I landed on my right scapula which caused my collar bone to
shatter. I didn't go over the handlebars but off of the side of the mountain
bike.

I visited a surgeon once a month while in physical therapy (Air Force
hospital) so that he could guage my progress. He decided against surgery.

I believe that the collar bone fracture was secondary to the shoulder
injury.

I do believe in preventive medicine now, I don't do anything stupid on a
bike anymore. :-

Hope that you are fully recovered also.

Dashi

Pretty much. My orthopedist said I'd never model swimsuits anymore,
and damned if she wasn't right!

Steve