Old July 16th 04, 03:33 PM
Chris Durkin

Default Race report - first triathlon (long)

So, the official results are up on the website. I forgot to mention in
my original post what the distances were. 1/4 mile swim, 12 mile bike,
3 mile run.

My overall time was 1:22:17, which put me in 23rd place out of 109. 5
of 8 in my age group. Swim split was 9:28, 11th overall, 3rd in age
group. Bike time is kind of confusing but I think it was 44:51, 18th
overall, 4th in age group. Run time was 28:00, 49th overall, 6th in
age group.

I was kind of surprised by the swim time, since it felt like I was
swimming much faster than I had in training. I would have estimated at
least 7:00 per 400 yard pace. Most likely the pack I was swimming with
went off course and we ended up doing more than 440 yards. Either that
or the cold water made it seem like I was exerting myself more.

My run time was also much worse than I had estimated. Even allowing 2
minutes for the "rest stop", that still averages to almost 9 minute
mile pace, which is pretty bad. Cramp or no cramp, I never would have
allowed myself to run that slow if I knew what pace I was going. I
definitely need to remember to use the timer on my watch next time!

It's cool though, this taught me a couple of valuable lessons that I
can put to good use. I need to focus more on maintaining my target
pace, and pay less attention to the people around me. On the bike I
had no problem doing that, since I had the speedometer. The swim and
run are a bit trickier.

Thanks to everyone who posted with suggestions.

Chris

(Chris Durkin) wrote in message . com...
Hey people,

race description snipped