Old March 16th 07, 02:51 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Wolf Leverich

Default Three (More) Mountain Bikers Arrested for Illegally Mountain Biking in Grand Canyon National Park

On 2007-03-16, JD wrote:
On Mar 15, 3:36 pm, "Mamba" wrote:
snip long indictment of bikers being bad

I'm glad these guys got busted. I've been on some of those trails and am
eager to see them preserved. So that makes for documented evidence of about
1/100th of one percent of mountain bikers being assholes. IMHO that's still
5-10% below the national average for the general population.

You need to come out to SoCal and see where the percentage brings
people on mountain bikes above the national average.

JD

I live in SoCal. And I hike a *lot*, all over the place.

I haven't noticed any particular problems with mountain
bikers.

*Horses* are infinitely more annoying, when they get out on
wet trails. They leave ankle-traps that can persist for
in this dry climate for months. I'm pretty tolerant of
however folks use the backcountry (just so long as they don't
clearcut or leave mountains of toxic tailings (: ), but I do
wish the horsemen would stay off trails during the few days
each year when they're wet.

Where are you hiking that you're running into problems with
mountain bikers?

If you want to get away from the crowds, take a look at the
Hundred Peaks Section's climbing guides at:
http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/
(Go to the peak list and then drill down to the individual
peaks.) You can prolly do 90% of the routes listed there
and never see another soul, let alone a mountain biker, after
you move away from your car.

Cheers, Wolf.

--
Dr. Brian Leverich Co-moderator, soc.genealogy.methods/GENMTD-L
Angeles Chapter LTC Admin Chair http://angeles.sierraclub.org/ltc/