Old May 1st 19, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Cyclists are putting red cups in the road to show how driversoften invade bike lanes

On Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 8:42:26 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 12:18:25 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Some U.S. states have similar laws (typically, 5 vehicles) but mine does
not. And here in Ohio there was a court decision stating that a
bicyclist isn't bound by obstruction provisions if he's moving at a
reasonable speed for a bicyclist. The same applies to slow moving
trucks, etc. Only limited access freeways have minimum speed requirements.

Having said that, there have been a few times I've pulled over to let
multiple cars pass me on a narrow and busy two-lane road. But only a few
times. The issue comes up only very rarely, because it's actually
uncommon for a motorist to have to wait behind me for even 30 seconds.

In Indiana, you have to start looking for a "reasonable" chance to let
them by if there are three or more. I start looking for a reasonable
chance if there is *any* vehicle that can't get around me -- but that
hardly ever happens except in roundabouts, where the speed limit is
fifteen miles per hour and I'm going almost as fast as is legal.

After going through the Fox Farm roundabout, I usually stop at Open
Air Greenhouses to catch my breath. If I burn the carbon out of my
carburetor once in a while it will take much longer to get to the
stage where I can't ride at all.

I also sprint when passing between two rows of parked cars on Park
Avenue, about two blocks -- and a speed limit of 25 mph.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

I find drivers simply too unreliable. You have someone behind you and you come to a straight section for which they can see and instead of scooting around you they either stay back or crawl by so slowly that a Porche doing 60 mph on these twisty mountain roads comes the other way.