Old May 2nd 19, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Belt drive

On 2019-04-30 17:28, John B. wrote:
rOn Tue, 30 Apr 2019 16:14:17 -0700, Joerg

[...]

I don't bomb downhill on the MTB anymore. Too old for
that and seen too
many cases of the aftermath when it went wrong.

I do often get to 20mph on regular MTB trail sections and
since we have
rocks embedded in the ground that's hard on the bike.
Hence a FS MTB and
a home-built rack system because the commercial stuff
ain't good.

However, we were talking about road bike tires here and
there I always
go full close tilt unless I am distracted. For example by
aerobatics up
in the sky on Friday. That was worth seeing.

Full means a speed that I can hold for an hour or two,
not a speed where
my tongue hangs on the handlebar after 10mins. IOW the
speed tat gives
me the best time from A to Z, not just from A to B.

Hmmm... I've always thought "full speed" was the speed you
reached
when that big, bad, dog, came rushing out of the drive
with dinner on
his mind.

My experiences have been that one can reach some
astonishingly high
speeds in that event :-)

Depends on how you are with dogs. The last (really big) one
which looked similar to an Anatolian Shepherd eventually
stopped growling at me, sniffed my hand and then licked it.

My MTB buddy had an event of the other kind. Instead of a
dog a redneck came running out of a shed, all angry,
hollering obscenities, rifle in hand. That warranted a very
speedy departure.

really?
Those are actual crimes (assault, brandishing). Was a police report
filed? What came of it?

Nothing. It makes no sense to report such stuff out in the sticks where
the next sheriff is 2h away and no cell connection. Besides, do you
think the guy will admit to it? He'll deny everything (once he is sober
again).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/