Old May 2nd 19, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Cyclists are putting red cups in the road to show how driversoften invade bike lanes

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 4:25:29 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 11:00:12 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 12:33:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:

In San Francisco it isn't at all unusual to watch cars drive right down streets that are bicycle and Muni Transit Buses only and so marked. My residence is on a No Trucks Allowed street and I watch trucks driving by regularly. And I have watched doubles back and hitch to make the turn to get ONTO this residential street.

FWIW, that happened to me in Paris a few years ago. There was a segregated bike-
bus lane along a busy street. I was riding it in the rain. A dude in a black
fancy German car (Audi or Mercedes, I forget which) turned illegally into the
lane behind me and began honking for me to get out of the way. I just shook my
head and rode on. He stayed behind me until the next intersection then turned
off. He had no realistic alternative. I certainly wasn't about to pull over
to let him pass!

- Frank Krygowski

The drivers in San Francisco are very odd ducks. On the streets where cars are severely limited they want to run over you. But out on streets where there are lanes divided down the middle with street cars and overhead electric wires and the lanes are somewhat limited they are polite as hell.

Around areas of San Francisco there are areas that look like wide sidewalks that they call something else (forget the name) but you can ride a bike on them. But you aren't allowed to ride on sidewalks. The cops don't even like you turning up onto a sidewalk to dismount and stop at a café or something.

And if these sorts of crazy things aren't enough you should try reading the gun laws. Let us say that you have a Concealed Carry Permit and carry a gun with you. You see someone robbing a bank and he is opening fire on people - if you shoot and kill that guy you can be prosecuted for murder. You are only allowed to discharge a weapon to protect your own personal safety. You actually would be in less danger of prosecution by carrying an illegal concealed weapon. Democrat State at work for the people.

I wonder about that. If someone is killing others, I see no jury would convicting someone.

Andy