Old May 2nd 19, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Belt drive

On Thu, 02 May 2019 07:35:44 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-05-01 16:04, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 01 May 2019 07:46:35 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-30 17:28, John B. wrote:
rOn Tue, 30 Apr 2019 16:14:17 -0700, Joerg

[...]

I don't bomb downhill on the MTB anymore. Too old for that and seen too
many cases of the aftermath when it went wrong.

I do often get to 20mph on regular MTB trail sections and since we have
rocks embedded in the ground that's hard on the bike. Hence a FS MTB and
a home-built rack system because the commercial stuff ain't good.

However, we were talking about road bike tires here and there I always
go full close tilt unless I am distracted. For example by aerobatics up
in the sky on Friday. That was worth seeing.

Full means a speed that I can hold for an hour or two, not a speed where
my tongue hangs on the handlebar after 10mins. IOW the speed tat gives
me the best time from A to Z, not just from A to B.

Hmmm... I've always thought "full speed" was the speed you reached
when that big, bad, dog, came rushing out of the drive with dinner on
his mind.

My experiences have been that one can reach some astonishingly high
speeds in that event :-)

Depends on how you are with dogs. The last (really big) one which looked
similar to an Anatolian Shepherd eventually stopped growling at me,
sniffed my hand and then licked it.

My MTB buddy had an event of the other kind. Instead of a dog a redneck
came running out of a shed, all angry, hollering obscenities, rifle in
hand. That warranted a very speedy departure.

Seriously? Or perhaps a better question was "what was your buddy doing
to cause some farmer to come roaring out of a shed with a gun"?
"hollering obscenities"?

He was merely following singletrack. We had a similar case here on the
El Dorado trail (MTB, hike and horse singletrack) where a landowner was
of the opinion that the 100 year old right-of-way does not apply near
his ranch. He kept the rifle on the rack though but rolled tree stumps
into the path with stern no-trespass warnings tacked on. When I reported
that I was told "Yeah, this guy is a bit belligerent, be careful when
you encounter him".

But, you are living in California where not that long go a guy used a
saw to attack bicyclists who he didn't want to access a trail.

But perhaps more to the point is there actually a legal right of way
over that prosperity? The fact that people have been crossing a
property may, or may not denote a right to continue to cross that
property. I know that in New Hampshire the fact that there is a road
or path across privately owned land exists does not denote a right to
use that road or path. There was a rather famous case in the town I
grew up in where the owner of a piece of land closed a road leading to
the Town's water reservoir over an argument with the Roads department.
No problem, public domain, benefit of the majority, etc. But when it
got down to a trial it was discovered that there is no "right", in New
Hampshire, to cross private property. In each case an "easement" must
exist to allow a "right" to exist to cross said property.

I used to go "prospecting" up in the mountains along the Yuba Rivers,
not that far from you, and I never had anyone come roaring out of a
shed after me. Of course I didn't go tromping through anyone's cash
crop, leave gates open, or any of the other foolishness that others
might do. And, if I did meet someone I used to stop, introduce myself,
tell them what I was doing "in this God Forsaken place" and even chat
a bit before I moved on.

Out here folks are more social. I was stopped by a guy when I realized
that I was indeed trespassing. The private property sign had fallen off
and no fence. After a brief chat he became friendly and even shared some
history about the old steam engine parts strewn across his property from
the gold rush days. Later I understoof why he was initially gruff. He
had a lot of squatters messing up his property in the past and the
clean-ups cost him serious money.

A great many people get upset about people just assuming a "right" to
go on their property and in nearly all cases it is because of the
actions of those people, not because the land owner is a miserable
scrooge.

This is different in areas farther out, desert and stuff. Where the real
loners live, often seriously intoxicated by who knows what.

--
cheers,

John B.