Old April 17th 21, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Questions about value of bicycles.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 12:18:48 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/15/2021 10:38 PM, John B. wrote:

Oh yes, I forgot. In some places they may still use an acetylene
generator a sort of tank thing that you put calcium carbide and water
in and if it is working right it generates acetylene... if it is not
working right it likely blows up :-)

Probably the most exciting type of bike headlight!

Anyone here ever use a carbide lamp? (Astonishingly, I haven't.)

We used carbide "miner's lamps" to blacken sights when I was shooting
on an Air Force pistol team. But, as blackening sights takes only a
second or two we didn't put water in the lamps, just spit in the
carbide section close it up and ignite it and it would burn for a few
seconds.

By the way, carbide generators blow up because acetylene gas explodes
if the pressure reaches something like 29 psi.
--
Cheers,

John B.