Old April 24th 21, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default I am that out of date

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 22:56:12 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 17:00:08 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I think each one of those allowed riding significantly farther, faster,
more comfortably or safer compared to the technology it replaced.

And everything else I can think of caused much smaller and merely
incremental improvements.

That's the rule for everything. Lacing skins together to get a better
fit wasn't as big an improvment as wearing clothes. The eyed needle
wasn't as big an improvment over lacing as lacing was over just using
the fabric the way you found or made it . . .

and improvements after the invention of the zig-zag sewing machine are
barely detectable.

For most sewing machines, I would agree that progress has been
incremental and not revolutionary.

About 30 years ago I bought my Mother a new fancy sewing machine. Her old sewing machine was a black Singer I assume she got in the 1940s. It still worked just fine. I bought her a brand new machine. I think it was a good brand and machine when I bought it. It was computerized or something. I am a good son!!!!! She uses the sewing machine I got her to fix my clothes.. And lots of other sewing stuff too.

However, in industrial sewing
machines, the introduction of CNC (computerized numerical control)
machines has been revolutionary in terms of what can be done with such
a machine. For example, quilting and embroidery has become heavily
computerized:
http://www.computerizedquiltingmachines.com
I've seen a building full of embroidery machines cranking out
elaborate sports uniforms and hats in different sizes at amazing
speeds. All the material, thread, and fasteners are handled by robot
arms, cut to shape in the machine, and sewn together in a programmed
sequence. The revolution is in the programming, which we don't see in
the final product.

Other possible candidates for revolutionary change might be ultrasonic
stitching, hot glue bonding and paper clothing. These have been
around for several decades, but have not sold well for various
reasons. It's mostly because these changes are visible

to consumers
who tend to be very conservative in their choice of material and
assembly techniques and tend to reject anything revolutionary.

Have you seen any internet stories about what Hollywood people are wearing? I think I have seen them wearing G string bikini things where their whole butt is visible and some with little pieces of metal the size of quarters covering their breasts. And things on their heads that would make a peacock envious. I'm not exactly sure the word "conservative" is applicable.

Incidentally, if you need a good laugh, look at what's being offered
by the industry as the next big thing in fashion:
https://wwd.com
https://wwd.com/wwd-publications/digital-daily/thursdays-digital-daily-april-22-2021/
Hint: The next big thing in fashion is usually what the fringe
elements of society are currently wearing.

--
Jeff Liebermann
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272