Old May 16th 21, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Flat again today but prepared.

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 12:18:41 PM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 2:06:08 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/16/2021 11:40 AM, Mark cleary wrote:
So today at mile 50 heading back into town I hit a huge deep pothole. A car was passing so I really had to hold my line and not avoid it. Sure enough in a hurry a pinch flat.

My first confession is I still had one CO2 canister so I loaded it and frankly I must be an idiot. I manage to get some of it in the tire but it seems to leak out somewhere around the fitting/stem as I hold the chuck. No problem got my new Leyzene Road drive out and got it up nicely in a hurry.. Frankly it would be just about as fast with just using the pump.

So I then go on and finish the ride 6 more miles for 56 today. I check the rear tire at home with floor pump that has gauge and the PSI was 84. No issues that works fine. I then topped it off to around 100.

I am I the only idiot who has no CO2 skills and even it I did would find it not dependable to ever really rely on.
Deacon mark

As with so many human activities, you don't use CO2
cartridges every day and there's a long time span between
events (hopefully) so you, like most people, are always a
rank amateur at it.

I always ended my flat-tire classes with the note that, 'a
flat is never at a convenient time, often associated with
rain, heat, cold, mosquitoes or just running late to be
somewhere else, That makes your psychology second rate.
Knowing that you have done this successfully here tonight
should help your attitude in future.'

You seem to have the right attitude and good for you!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Well Andrew as you mentioned I had to get to 9:30 Mass to be the Deacon and function. I tell you though I do think I must have lost the O ring and I sort of remember that at one time. What CO2 inflator is the best. Seems that Pro Bike Tool sells one that is pretty decent $20 and I can get 10 cartridges? I suppose I should not give up on them but frankly I don't race except I like to ride fast without interruptions and breaks. The CO2 if done correct would be a bit faster. I can build the wheels, build the bike, do all my own maintenance but CO2 is still a learning curve..............who would have thought. But on the other hand I have Shimano road cleats spd-sl and I still sometimes have trouble clipping in smoothly and fiddle with the pedals from a stop.

Deacon mark

All day today I was having trouble getting into the pedals. I kept kicking the pedals and they would start rotating like a windmill.