Old April 19th 16, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default AG: Doorways

On 4/18/2016 7:16 AM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote in
news
On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 15:29:10 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Chaplin
wrote:

"Kickstand"? Heaven forefend!

Flatfoots have no top tube. Really hard to lean one on a pole.

I lean the saddle or crank the against the pole.

40 years ago, a British friend showed me his trick: Put the curb side
pedal just behind the direct downward (6 O'clock) position; prop that
pedal on the curb, and lean the front wheel into the curb. The force of
the curb upward on the pedal tries (weakly) to drive the bike forward;
but the wheel turned into the curb prevents it from moving.

It works, although it's not super-stable. For a bit of extra stability,
add a Blackburn Stop Block
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5087/...71eb9ec3_o.jpg
or something similar. Comparable devices are easy to make.

But most of the time, I just lean my bike against a wall (with the Stop
Block applied), or lie it down.

--
- Frank Krygowski