Old May 2nd 17, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

Default torque wrench issues

wrote in message
On Tue, 2 May 2017 19:09:32 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
news
On 5/1/2017 2:49 PM, Ian Field wrote:

wrote:
On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 21:30:36 +0100, "Ian Field" wrote:

Never heard of any warnings against welding zinc passivated steel -
only
know of cadmium plating being very dangerous.

You will only weld or braze galvanized steel in a poorly ventilated
space ONCE unless you are REALLY stupid.

I have never become aware of the dire consequences of welding zinc
plated
that are being spouted here.

"galvanised" can be plated with *ANY* metal that has a higher galvanic
affinity than the host metal. Including cadmium and various other toxic
heavy metals.

Cadmium poisoning is cumulative and has various routes into the body -
its a long slow painful journey to a Darwin award.

For a few years I worked assembling electronic equipment on cadmium
plated chassis - I've seen with my own eyes the extent to which the
plating rubs off on your hands.

But if you're too stupid to take it from someone who's been there -
Darwin awaits you with outstretched arms.

Can you not see your post's internal inconsistency?

You have multiple people who have given citations as well as related
experiences about welding zinc galvanized steel, but you discount them
saying "I have never become aware [of that problem]."

I have done and seen others do; things that they claim are instantly
injurous - at no time have I observed any such effect.

My cites are what I've seen with my own eyes.

An old proverb about statistics pretty much says it all. You can present
published papers to say anything you want.

My cites are what I have personally experienced, and what I have
observed others experience, as well as the warnings and instruction
given to welders by OHSA and CWI instructors.

I challenge you to weld hot dipped galvanized steel in a poorly
ventilated space

You've already made your opinion abundantly clear.

I wouldn't weld *ANYTHING* in a poorly ventilated space.

Maybe you would, and you're projecting..............