Old September 24th 18, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Rides

On 2018-09-24 08:32, wrote:
On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 5:54:16 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

YOU GOT A CARBON FIBER BIKE?

Yes, I crossed over to the Dark Side again. But the thing is that
although there is only some 6 lbs total weight difference from my
heaviest steel bike to the CLX, the ride quality of the CLX is easily
the best of the lot. It doesn't bounce on those low spots when you're
descending at 40 mph and while hitting bumps gives you a jarring just
as any other frame material it doesn't continue reverberating from it
after the initial strike.

As soon as I recover from the expense of building it I will switch to
tubeless which will reduce the weight by some 2 lbs. because of the
flat kit.

Maybe you guys don't have goat's head thorns. With tubeless the only
defense is the running surface and sometimes the even thinner side wall.
Not much for a 1/3" long thorn. Or a dozen of them hitting almost
simultaneouly. I can only imagine that resulting in an immediate flat
and the size of the hole would cause any slime to just ooze all over the
place like it happened to me. Only thick tubes and a tire liner did the
trick, no more flats since then. So the flat kits I bought from you are
pretty much exclusively for use on other cyclists' bikes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/