Old June 6th 20, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

Default Social distancing

TMS320 wrote:

With the number of pedestrians complaining about cyclists passing close,
it never ceases to amaze how people stand and talk to each across a path
and one has no choice but to pass between them.

I don't hold with the idea that anybody will die from a fleeting
encounter outdoors but respect that there are those that do.

I'd go along with that. According to Public Health England, typically
spending more than 15 minutes within two metres of an infected person
can raise your risk of catching the virus. So if you momentarily
brush past someone, especially outdoors, even within the two metres
how much of a risk can that realistically pose?

The two metre distance we observe is quite generous compared to some
other countries, for example, in the US it's 1.8m, in Australia it's
1.5m and in Singapore just 1m.

Yesterday I came across such a scene where at least one of the chatterers
was wearing a face mask.

At my speed I gave them every reasonable opportunity to rearrange
themselves. Eyes made contact and body language indicated they had seen,
recognised, reacted and adjusted to a settled position. After the cue to
go past the only other option would have been to stop and argue. Oh well.