Old February 2nd 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default New chain waxing technique

john wrote:
Werehatrack wrote:

I think, in deference to my desire to not meddle with the tempering of
the sideplates and/or risk torching the paint job on my chainstays,
that I will not attempt to duplicate this experiment.

Hi there, Werehatrack

Your concern about paint makes sense. But I doubt that the flames have
enough total heat to affect the steel in the chain. The lowest temp I'm
aware of to cause even a minor permanent change to steel is ~550F.
Perhaps Mr. Beam could bring some of his expertise to bear on this?

Sounds like fun, knida like Jessie James on Monster Garage, John

if you're just melting wax, there will be no effect on chain temper.

if however the chain is heated enough to cause any coloration, you can
use this chart to identify the temperature you've reached, and get an
idea of the effect it'll have.

http://www.threeplanes.net/toolsteel.html