Old February 9th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Chain waxing + graphite question

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 09:45:22 -0800, Mike DeMicco
wrote:

In article ,
HarryB wrote:

I have been hot waxing my chains for the last year or so and have been
quite pleased with the results. Before I rewax I take the still cool
"cake" of wax out of the cooker and scrape off the small amount of
sediment (dirt) that has settled to the bottom of the cake.

I have read that some people recommend adding some graphite to the wax
to help increase the life of the chain. However, if I add graphite to
the wax, wouldn't it settle to the bottom of the wax cake after I'm
done with waxing? In that case, wouldn't I remove the graphite when I
scrape off the sediment, defeating the purpose of adding the graphite?

Harry

Don't use graphite- it's messy and corrosive if the chain gets wet.
Teflon is a better additive. In fact, lose the wax and use pure Teflon
lubricant from Dupont.

What is the exact name of this product, and why is it better than the
hot wax method that I'm now using? My priorities are as follows
(highest priority first):
1) Clean chain
2) Reduced chain wear
3) Low cost