Old May 2nd 04, 08:57 PM
Nanc

Default Below Steering

"Henry" wrote in message
My inclination is that it is just personal preference.

snip

That said, personally, I prefer having the handlebars in front of
me, because that's what I'm used to. I think it gives me
better control.

To prove Henry correct, my personal preference is for Under Seat Steering
(USS). I feel like my arms are in a more natural position and love the way
it feels with nothing but my feet out in front of me. I feel like I'm on a
magic carpet ride. For me, the USS felt natural from the first time I tried
it (which was also my first ride on a bent of any sort)... no adjustment
period at all.

I later bought a second bent (a RANS Vivo) with above seat steering, but
after a year decided to sell it because I never got to the point where the
steering felt as natural as my USS bent.

A drawback to USS steering is that it is less aerodynamic, and some people
think it is more difficult to walk the bike. I'm willing to trade
aerodynamics for what feels right to me. Also, I find it is quite easy to
walk my USS bent. I simply get behind the bike and with both hands on the
seat, tip the bike up on its back wheel and walk it from directly behind the
bike. I preferred this method of walking a bike even with the RANS Vivo.
(Particularly when walking the bike into the house or negotiating other
narrow spaces.)

~ Nanc
1999 Vision R44 USS
2003 Vision R45 USS