Old March 13th 20, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default I missed this story last September

On Sun, 08 Mar 2020 23:13:07 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I've got sticky clay, well bound with
straw, under my fenders.

It was a fit day for hooking up the hose yesterday, so I took a bottle
of dish soap and an abrasive dish-washing sponge outside and scrubbed
my rims.

I got a wad of straw out of one of one of my fenders.

The sawhorses ended up well into the lawn, as I kept backing up out of
the puddle I was making.

------------------------

And then I thought, "brakes can be cleaned indoors; it's safe to put
it off until tommorrow."

Before typing that, I got up and cleaned my brakes.

When I got my 8mm wrench out of my toolkit, I discovered that I still
carry a patch kit -- quite useless because I don't carry tools for
getting the tire off the rim. On the other hand, I do need a place to
carry a chip of soap and a bandaid. Other items: the 8mm wrench.
There's supposed to be a 10mm wrench too, I'm pretty sure. An
adjustable wrench. A couple of 16" square rags. A pair of knee hose
for holding newspaper sleeves on my feet, but no newspaper sleeves.
But there are usually sleeves in my bag of bags.

Scrubbed the front blocks and thought it was a waste of worry; they
were perfectly clean.

Then I took off the back blocks!

I should be saying "shoes"; blocks come permanently installed in the
shoe these days, and can't be replaced. Which reminds me of an
article I wrote for MHW's Bikeabout about cleaning brakes, in which I
said that it was very important to install the shoes with the open
side in front so that braking wouldn't pop the brake block out.

Those of you who feel your hair standing on end will be relieved to
know that as I was rolling out the driveway on the way to the print
shop, I looked down at my front wheel, said "awk scrickle", and went
back home and re-did the page.

If I ever edit again, it will be for a literary club or some other
publication where mistakes don't kill people.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net