Old May 31st 06, 09:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Can't Use Helmets in the Sun????

"GaryG" writes:

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been doing long distance self contained touring for about 20
years and have been hit by cars twice.

Both times was hit within a mile of my home while riding in the middle
of a group of bicycles. In each case a car rode directly across the
road from a cross street through the group of riders. How lucky can you
be.

In both cases although low speed collisions, I was thrown from bike and
landed by hitting my head on the curbing.

The first time in 1986 an MG hit my front wheel throwing me into the
air. I landed on my back and the back of my head hit the curbing. It
must have hit fairly hard because my glasses were throw completely
across the road despite the eye glass retaining strap I was wearing.
The driver kept on going but was caught by another driver. I was
stunned, My back abraded. My glasses were gouged, my front wheel and
fork were a pretzel and my helmet (a bell hard shell) was cracked. But
I was just dazed and abraded, otherwise unhurt. I think the helmet
saved my life.

The second time in 1998, I was the middle of three riders on the same
street as the previous accident. A Chevy station wagon, ran a stop sign
and hit me. This time she hit closer to the middle of the bike and I
was thrown across the street and hit head first on the curbing. This
must say something about the weight of my head versus the rest of my
body. I was knocked out. and had some pretty deep gouges on my right
leg and ankle, a strained neck and shoulder plus lots of bruises. My
helmet didn't crack this time (it was a Giro) but I was happy to
replace it. Again, I think the helmet saved my life.

I have been run off the road since but luckily not hit. There are two
things I take away from these incidents:

1. Stay off of that street

2. Always wear my helmet especially when I ride near home.

Roland

Dover, NH
ebent.com

Blasphemer!!! How dare you bring your personal experience with the
ostensible injury reducing benefits of a helmet into this hallowed
intellectual discussion?

Since you've raised the issue, be prepared to hear that:

1) You're a very poor cyclist. "Real" cyclists never get hit by cars, or
fall down.

Peter? Is that you?

2) Your injuries were worse than they would otherwise have been due to the
presence of the helmet on your head (rotational forces increased due to
additional circumference and weight, etc., etc.). Be thankful that you're
still alive given your ridiculous choice in headgear.

It is!

3) You would have survived those head impacts just as well, if not better,
if you had been wearing a proper cotton cycling cap (or, better yet, nothing
at all).

Yep. Its you alright. But why didnt you advocate wearing it for walking
to the toilet too because statistically .... blah blah blah.

4) You've clearly not studied the available research which proves (to some
AHZ stalwarts anyway) that wearing helmets increases the risk of head
injuries (unless you wear one while showering).