Old July 19th 04, 10:45 PM
Andre

Default Lance blames fast food.

Fast food joints provide 3 macronutrients that, from an evolutionary
perspective, are difficult to resist.
1. fat
2. sugar
3. salt

These three ingredients are addictive (as historically, they provided energy
\ electrolytic support). Some of the best biochemists in the world are
employed by the fast food energy. There job is to calibrate the combination
of the above ingredients so as to maximize the appeal of the food.
The problem, of course, is that the nutrient density of this food is poor.
Also, the food's calories are cheap in comparison to "healthy" food
calories.

Personally, there's nothing I like better after a tough race than a tasty
burger meal. Of course, most of my fellow customers had not arrived at the
restaurant with a 3000 kcal deficit from a bike race...

When energy input exceeds output, then the excess is stored as fat, "for a
rainy day", which sadly never arrives...

--
Andre Charlebois

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
nk.net...
I was reading a Lance interview in Outdoor Life, and said that

Americans
were grotesquely fat compared to Europeans. And that he blamed it on fast
food. I can't remember the last time I ate at a fast food joint, so could
someone with fast food experience please explain what Lance is talking
about.