Old August 24th 17, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default Cassettes

On 8/22/2017 4:58 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 3:06:12 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 10:42:29 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 4:57:41 PM UTC+2, wrote:
It's enough to **** off the Pope that Shimano cassettes are 10% the cost of the Campy cassettes and they are available in so many different ratios. Its already too much that bicycle sales are way off because of the preposterous prices of the high end carbon fiber bicycles but the components prices on Campy are getting so far out of reach that they are going to cut their own throats.

Why don't/didn't you buy Shimano then?
FYI at this side of the pond Chorus 12-25 11 speed cassette 99 euro's; Ultegra 12-25 11 speed cassette 58 euro's.

Because I can't remember how to shift Shimano. I always push the wrong lever. That's why I went back to Campy. That memory thing is permanent.

O.K., but I'm having a tough time believing that you can type, express your outrage over the cost of Campy cassettes yet not be able to use STI levers. I'd bet your problem is going back and forth between systems. I missed tons of shifts on SRAM double-tap because I rode Shimano all week and jumped on my SRAM bike on the weekend. If you do just one, you will succeed! We have confidence in you! Go, Tom, Go! Or just buy a Campy clone cassette.

-- Jay Beattie.

My Trek Domane came with Ultegra STI, and despite 15 years of using
Campy Ergo, I gave the Ultegra a try for 300 miles. It worked very
nicely, but indeed when I was fatigued at the end of a harder ride and
on a climb, those Campy downshift instincts (push the inner lever toward
bike center) were exactly the opposite of what was needed. Having three
other Ergo bikes meant there would be too much thinking needed when my
brain was cooked.

I think the ?fact? that the Ultegra wouldn't shift a triple (which I
switched to 100 miles later) cinched the deal, so my Domane is now
mostly Campy. The compact double crossover point was right in the
middle of where I did all my riding, and I got tired of fiddling with it.

Mark "instinctual" J.