Old June 10th 16, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_6_]

Default Mountain Biking Is Inappropriate In Wilderness

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 10:57:50 -0500, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

I'd listen to you except that I am old enough to actually have "worked

in the woods" as they used to term it, and have also worked in truly
primeval areas in other countries where there no signs that man had
ever existed there.

When you use the term "primeval" you simply don't know what you are

talking about. You use the word to describe the Appalachian Trail, for
instance, but the Appalachian Trail is damned close to civilization
when you compare it with an actual primeval area, which, quite
obviously, you know nothing about.

But of course you are not actually talking about a primeval area you

are simply parroting the word in an effect to make your notions sound
logical and important.

I have never used the word “primeval” in describing what hikers do in the woods. That was your word, not mine. I have no interest in anything “primeval”. I am only interest in wilderness and natural landscapes, those minimally modified by man. You are stalking a straw horse.
[...]

WEll, I should hope not.

After all "primeval" is a description of a condition or state of
being. The dictionary has it that "having existed from the beginning;
in an earliest or original stage or state".

But "what hikers do in the woods"? The Lord only knows what antics
that get up to out there in the bushes, with no one to watch then.

And, "minimally modified by man"? I suppose that you mean man made
trails to walk on, with stairs to climb the hills, and the shelters to
sleep in and the places to build your fire and the cute little sign
posts to tell you where you are.

It sounds more like the Freeway than a "wilderness", as you call it.

But Dolie, the word "wilderness" actually means "a wild and
uninhabited area left in its natural condition", not a place with all
the amenities , and some trees.
--
cheers,

John B.