Old November 26th 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah

Default Accident report (Edinburgh)

On 26 Nov, 15:56, Chris Malcolm wrote:

Suggestions for more lessons to learn gratefully received :-)

--
Chris Malcolm

Firstly, commiserations; hope the bruises heal and the bike is
replaced at teh driver's expense.

As for beating yourself up about not taking photos, don't; adreniline
surges don't always promote cool calm thinking.

I've been in a similar position myself recently (but with no parked
car and thankfully no collision.) Like you, I saw the car, he was
approaching the junction slowly to turn left (looks like your guy was
turning right?) The line of sight between my eyes and his was
obstructed by his corner pillar, so I know that there was a chance he
hadn't seen me. Like AndyC I edged out, and like you I slowed down.
He came straight out and as he did so he saw me and stopped. I did an
emergency stopped, the back wheel slid right and I (elegantly?)
stepped off it so as to end up standing 30cm or so in front of his
bonnet, glaring at him, and indicating that I was big enough to see.
This was a nice bright morning, with no low sun; I guess he'd just
started off, hadn't cleared his windscreen enough. He had passengers
with him, one of whom may have warned him.

As cyclists, we survive by riding defensively, but every time we put
our bikes in front of a car, we are trusting to motorists a) to see us
and b) to exercise due judgement. If they are driving with due care
and attention (as most do), then it works well. But sometimes and in
some places you HAVE to place your trust in them, otherwise you'd
never get anywhere. So my advice would be to pick these times and
places when the damage will be minimised if things go wrong. And
definitely report it to the police.

Peter.