Old June 5th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Werehatrack

Default "Large shifts in behavior' during commutes create new problems" (not enough room on buses and trains for bicycles)

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 08:48:11 -0700, Jym Dyer may have
said:

Of course there's a very simple solution--buy a folding
bicycle and take it on board. You can buy a folding bicycle
that's good enough for rides to and from the train station
for $200 or so, i.e. the Dahon Yeah,

=v= How good is the "Yeah" model? Poking around the 'net, I
find that though it carries the Dahon brand name, it's built
by another manufacturer.

Looks to be of the "okay to use occasionally" level of quality. I'd
put it somewhere just below the level of my old Boardwalk, which is
useful for the odd errand in (for instance) a situation where I need
the car for part of the trip but can bike around the vicinity where
it's required.

=v= I had a really cheap Dahon some years back, and the ride
was so bad I wasn't what you'd call encouraged to use it.
Dahon has improved greatly since then, but I'd hate to see
their good name dragged down by bottom-feeder models. :-|

Nearly every manufacturer seems to think that an "entry-level"
selection is a necessity, and some fail to recognize what will best
fill that niche without trashing their rep.

=v= Personally, I've gone higher-end (Bike Friday), and I
can also give props to another cheapo model, DownTube.

It's nice to see that folders are improving, but until I both need and
can afford a better one, I'll put up with the shortcomings of the old
Boardwalk.