Old July 19th 18, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Making America into Amsterdam

On 2018-07-18 14:18, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/18/2018 12:54 PM, sms wrote:
On 7/18/2018 9:00 AM, Radey Shouman wrote:
sms writes:

I think the most ridiculous statement was that the bicycle paths all
have a parking lot at each end. The ones around here sure don't. There
are parking lots nearby some of the access points, in corporate
locations, shopping areas, parks, and condo or apartment complexes,
but these were not added for people to drive to the trail and
park. The one I know of that does have parking lots along the way
specifically for trail users is Sawyer Camp trail, though the parking
lots are not at both ends, the northern end of the trail has no
parking lot, though there is street parking close by.

Different worlds, I guess. Where to put the parking lots is a major
bone of contention for any proposed MUP around here. Nothing freezes
the cockles of a New Englander's heart like thinking that someone,
somewhere is parking at his expense, or that good for nothing bike-rack
toting cars might clog up his business lot to no commercial purpose.

One of our favorite rides is to start in Seaside, CA and ride to
Carmel. Part of the route is on a very popular MUP, which is mostly
used by cyclists except for the part that goes through the Fisherman's
Wharf area of Monterey.

We do drive there. There is no parking lot for the trail in Seaside,
but there is plenty of street parking near most of the access points,
and the shopping center not far from the beginning doesn't seem to
mind if you park in the more remote sections of the lot.

Even the popular Sawyer Camp Trail in San Mateo doesn't really have a
parking lot that you drive into, they just carved out some limited
street parking on the shoulders of Skyline Boulevard and Crystal
Springs Road. It's a very popular area with not nearly enough parking.
https://goo.gl/maps/6xn95KHvx6y.

The salient point is not that there is a specially constructed parking
lot at each end. Obviously, in some areas they may not have room to
dedicate to a parking lot, so users park on the streets. The salient
point is that the typical trail users (really, almost ALL trail users in
almost all areas) use a car to haul their bike to the trail.

Not in Folsom, Rancho Cordova, Davis, et cetera. Why? Because they have
bike infrastructure connection neighborhood, shopping areas and work
places to the trail.

In many other places your statement is true. Why? Because there is no
bike infrastructure connecting to the trail and almost all cyclists hate
to ride in the lane.

We have mixed commuters which use car - bike or car - light rail -
bike. Most use the car because it's eitehr to far or there is a lack of
bike infrastructure.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/