Old June 18th 18, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Helmet News

On Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 6:58:08 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/17/2018 2:10 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, June 16, 2018 at 10:00:25 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

But nationwide data makes it fairly clear that
approved helmets aren't making much of a difference at all, despite
hundreds of gullible "it saved my life!!!" stories.

- Frank Krygowski

I've been involved in a few bike accidents over the decades. One without a helmet. Still have the scar on my forehead 35+ years later to remind me of that day. Not a day I really care to remember. Others I was wearing a helmet. Nothing to remind me of those accidents except my memory. Well I do have a scar under my eye from one accident. Helmet was not a full face motorcycle helmet so under my eye was exposed. Went to the emergency room to get some stitches put in my face. My experience says its better to be wearing a helmet when you wreck that not wear a helmet.

I avoid wrecking.

Yes, we know.

I remember one mountain bike ride long ago with, oh, maybe 8 other guys.
I had no helmet. All others but one (IIRC) did.

The ride was in a recreation area set aside for mountain bikes, dirt
motorcycles, four wheelers, etc. Sure enough, at one point the crew
decided to "get big air" by riding down into a gully and up the other
side, then launching into the air.

I decided it was too dangerous. The helmeted guys felt protected - until
one crashed and broke his collarbone. The ride ended as we walked him
back to his car.

I believe in risk compensation.

Yes, we know. So how does that work with getting hit by a car, wiping out on ice, going OTB after getting hung up in a dog leash? Basically all of my riding would be considered risk compensation. The times I've crushed helmets, I was doing what I did decades ago without a helmet. I don't care if you or anyone else wears a helmet, but I have gotten good use out of mine, if only avoiding scalp lacerations.

-- Jay Beattie.