Old October 4th 03, 06:31 PM
Badger South

Default Pedestrians

In article ,
Buck s c h w i n n _ f o r _ s a l e @ h o t m a i l . c o m wrote:
"Badger South" wrote in message
Never overestimate the alertness or intelligence of the bike
path pedestrian.

snip

Instead of muttering obscenities at the pedestrians with no
earthly clue, I think from now on I might get an air horn and
honk it at them when they say 'oh, sorry', and follow it up
with a smile and a slightly startled look: 'oh, no problem,
oops, sorry, that pesky airhorn keeps going off by itself'. ;-P

From what you have written, it sounds like you need to realize that "bike
paths" are almost always treated as multi-use trails which are hardly better
than a sidewalk. Just like you wouldn't ride fast on a sidewalk, you should
ride fast here either. Save the spped for the roads where all of the traffic
is expected to be moving faster than a walking pace.

-Buck

Yeah, I know that. I was just offering a humorous, but true
anecdote. Surely you can tell by the comment that I was able to
jump off the pedals and stop with my feet that I was not
traveling quickly at all.

What is puzzling is the daft actions of the people walking.
There are several ppl that ride bikes on this trail, but the
walkers all act like 'OMG, it's a bizarre unknown contraption,
what on earth should I do now?' In addition all the walkers are
supposed to have their dogs on a leash, and none of them do it.
When the dog jumps up on you and knocks you back, or jumps in
front of the bik, they say, 'oh, he doesn't bite, he's just
being friendly'. I say, that's nice, but I don't want him to
jump on me and be friendly right now.

One should be able to expect that the pedestrians would just
calmly move to the side and let a biker through, with
sufficient warning; and most of them do. It's the few that
don't seem to know left from right, or seem to consider the
best response to be jump in front of you for a better view! ;-)

Lighten up.

-B

--
Email Replies to johnsonnospm01j att ntelos dott net