Old September 29th 18, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default hex entry at the back of pedal

Joerg wrote:
:On 2018-09-29 11:12, AMuzi wrote:
: On 9/29/2018 12:59 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
: Today I replaced the pedals on a modern bike
: with regular ones, which are just commodity
: items from the hardware store. The modern
: pedals are too short and, without using such
: shoes, the interface to fixate them becomes an
: uncomfortable blob under the foot.

:You aren't supposed to ride click pedals with regular shoes :-)

:
: Anyway first thing I noticed was an entry for
: a hex key at the back of the pedal "screw
: block" (?)
:
: I removed the pedals just like a would with the
: single speed, old steel bikes, i.e. a long
: pipe, a 15mm wrench, a string to hold the crank
: to the chainstay, CRC 5-56 (probably not needed
: even), left pedal LT, right pedal regular, and
: so very little force needed for the pedal to
: come loose.
:
: So what is the reason for the hex entry and
: when do you use it?
:
: BTW does anyone have an image with pedal parts
: and terminology? I image googled but didn't
: find anything to that end.
:
:
: Pedal spindle (or axle - people use both terms) with allen broach:
: https://outdoorgearlab-mvnab3pwrvp3t...46_3693_XL.jpg
:
:
: offers faster assembly:
: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$%28KGrHqZ,!lIE2EP64yPuBNhl+JMIDw~~_35.JPG?set_id= 8800005007
:

:Or use a power drill with an allen bit in there, faster. We even use a
ower drill to make bread dough.

:
: Fully tighten, or break free to remove, with 15mm pedal wrench.
:
: Some pedals omit the wrench flats and have an 8mm allen broach only on
: the inside.
:

:That sounds scary, I'd never buy those. 8mm ist too wimpy for a nice
:tight fit.

Typical torque spec for a 12.9 grade 10mm socket head screw, which is
what has an 8mm hex socket, is 80 NM (~60 foot pounds). Shimano
pedals are 35 or 40 NM (25 to 29 ft pounds), as I recall. If you can't do that with a hex bit, you are not competent to work on anything.

--
sig 89