Old July 27th 18, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Making America into Amsterdam

On 7/27/2018 8:45 AM, Radey Shouman wrote:

Ohio must be different. I have experienced over-bright headlights, and
headlights that are poorly aimed, but have never been anywhere that
drivers commonly neglected to dim their brights for oncoming motor
traffic. In many locales behaving that way would be tempting homicidal
road rage, not to mention traffic citations.

Ditto, California drivers are very good about dimming their lights.But I
can say that within my own family, when driving and we see movement at
night, that could be an animal, pedestrian, or poorly lit or unlit
cyclist, we do put on the high beams in order to see them better. And
say something among ourselves, like "what an idiot," (if it's a person!).

We bike a lot and we are careful to use lights and other visibility aids
at night and we don't experience the issue of motorists blinding us with
high beams. It's a choice we make to ensure that motorists can easily
see us, and obviously not everyone makes the same choice. To insist
"motorists should be able to see us even when we are not conspicuous" is
not very smart, IMVAIO.

As a cyclists, it's a conscious decision to decide whether to use no
lighting, minimum legal lighting, or lighting that makes you
conspicuous. If using no lighting or poor lighting then you should be
grateful that motorists are paying sufficient attention to the road that
when they see movement they try to see you! Also remember that not every
driver has the best night vision.