Old July 27th 18, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Making America into Amsterdam

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 16:27:45 -0700, Joerg
Joerg wrote
25 Jul Joerg wrote
Joerg wrote
On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 15:13:21 -0700, Joerg
On 2018-07-22 21:44, John B. Slocomb wrote:

If the bicycles are for work, what are the cars for?

snip snip
I might point out that my father built two houses (2
bedroom and 3
bedroom) while working as a postal clerk by doing all of
the work
himself. Granted it does take a long time but it is both
possible and
economically feasible.

And how did the lumber, cladding and all that get there? On
a bicycle? On foot?

When rebuilding my girlfriend's sun porch this spring, we
uncovered the the former exterior house wall which was rough
sawn 15~18" planks on rough sawn studs with squarecut nails,
circa 1920 when milled lumber was plentiful if one had cash
and a means to move it, which they apparently did not. What
they had were axes, 2-man saws and draft horses with chains
to get the logs down off the ridge in snow.

Depending on what sort of wood, I would think that 15 ` 18" planks
would be worth some money.

I was at an auction where they were selling off a whole household and
a guy bid on the stable building. Later I asked him what he wanted
"that shack" for and he told me that the interior was finished off
with 1 inch rough sawn oak and the interior wood was at least a 100%
profit over what he paid :-)

The best way to get any job done will vary a lot depending
on who you are and where (physically and philosophically)
you are. Sometimes that means a bicycle where other guys
might choose a truck or just not to do the job at all.