View Single Post
Old December 12th 18, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Keep on trucking?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...e-rolled-back/

I wouldn't want to be cycling next to that truck when it turns, even if it pulls no trailer. One trailer is already much more dangerous. Multiple trailers, as envisaged in an "editorial" (i.e. a think-piece endorsed by most of the editors) in a politically influential magazine, is an unthinkable geometric multiplication of peril to cyclists. If you read carefully about the overall weight limit and the reasons for allowing multiple trailers, you will discover that these multiple trailered big truck are envisaged as possibly delivering small parcels in your suburb... Notice that multiple trailers also multiply the danger to pedestrians when trailers take shortcut across the sidewalk at a street corner.

I had a very good experience of these lighter than full load arrangements when I shipped a bike from Germany in a less than full ship, which was then sent on to me, at less than half the cost of a DHL or FedEx delivery, from a port only two away by truck -- when my bike was delivered to me from the bowels of this huge trailer truck, it was the only parcel aboard, and the driver told me it he left the deport with only my bike aboard, though he would be returning full from a depot about twelve miles further down the road from me. But I wouldn't want that truck on a narrow road with me either full or empty. And I have a better bike delivery from Germany to contrast it with: the vendor simply sent it by plane, to which I contributed 50 Euro, and I picked it up at the airport; the total cost was between the two methods was comparable.

Andre Jute
Nobody's ever accused me of being yellow and survived, but I'd hate my gravestone to be engraved, "This cyclist contested his right of way with a monster truck and its many trailers."
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home