Old September 22nd 20, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default eBike News

Lou Holtman wrote:
Op dinsdag 22 september 2020 om 03:58:57 UTC+2 schreef Frank Krygowski:
On 9/21/2020 2:26 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:

Two weeks ago I was in the mountains climbing. Before I left I weighed
bike and myself, both in riding condition. There is a 10 km climb with
an almost constant grade; about 7%.:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oTwizyDjQ59vMX2p9
I resetted my Garmin at the bottom of the climb. At the top I looked at
the average power I managed and I calculated my climbing time within 30
seconds accuracy from the average power and weight.

I assume your calculations were done the simplest way, ignoring any aero
drag, right? Aero drag would be minimal at normal climbing speeds for a
7% grade.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Yes simple calculation. I assumed 20 Watts rolling resistance. No aero
drag at speeds of 10-12 km/hr.

Lou

As a really rough estimate, I take sustained speed x % grade as an
indication of power (in really weird units, of course). It’s good enough
to show that I’m sitting around 60% of my previous fitness after falling
off the wagon for a year.