Old December 22nd 17, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default Standards; always room for one more!

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 22:40:21 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 12/21/2017 10:05 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:

Nearly 1.5 kg of tire per wheel (and tubeless at that). Sacre
avoirdupois, Batman! That mass is partially offset by wallet
lightening at $120-225 per tire. Shoot, my Compass tires suddenly
seem like a bargain. Maybe one can forego the formerly de rigeur
boinger fork with big marshmallows like these; that would be a decent
tradeoff and would further offset the increased mass.

Now, just because I have zero use for tires like this doesn't mean no
one does, I suppose. But yeek! The mass and the cost!

Now now, you're ignoring the advantage of "momentum"! How
old-fashioned to disparage it and talk about mere "mass."

Ah, silly me.

Anyway, I've thought about this a lot, and I'm sure they haven't
figured out the optimum wheel+tire size yet. It's actually 28.15" also
known as 715. I'm not buying another mountain bike until they start
selling "seven-fifteens."

If only ShelBroCo was still a going concern (for a variety of reasons).
They'd get it covered.

(Notice the last two digits are the same in inches or metric. That
proves it's cosmic, man.)

Deep. Very deep.